Saturday, June 28, 2008

20 Great Broadway Songs of the Past 10 Years: “96,000”

I haven’t seen In the Heights yet (curse not living in New York!), but “96,000” from Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Tony-winning score has to be one of the most exciting Broadway songs from the past ten years.

I love shows with traditional scores (like those of The Light in the Piazza, Ragtime, and The Drowsy Chaperone), but I also love when a show successfully integrates contemporary sounds, almost like it was the Golden Age when Broadway played on the radio.

I can’t really comment on the role the song plays in the show or how it fits characters; I just love that it really pulls you in and makes you want to move. You have strong vocals combining with rapping and Latin rhythms, and it’s so electric. Hearing it on Broadway.com and on the Tonys telecast was so exciting, I can’t wait to hear it live.

the Broadway Mouth
June 28, 2008

No comments: