Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Broadway Mouth Blog Table of Contents (2007)

According to Blogger, I posted 121 blog entries from June-December 2007. If you’re trying to find the meat on the site, that can be a lot to wade through, particularly if you weren’t there with me from the beginning.

To help you through them, I’ve selected the blog entries of highest interest and listed them below, with a brief description of what they were about. You can easily navigate my blog using the archive on the right of the screen; however, with so many entries from my 50 Amazing Broadway Performers in 50 Weekdays, many of them may get lost in the shuffle. I would be inclined to say that all of my entries are of high-interest; however, I wanted to attempt to narrow it down as much as I could.

The list below begins with June 2007 and ends with December 2007.

Give Them What They Want / Za Ba Zoovee
Here I addressed the use of pop music in the Broadway musical vocabulary. This is a pretty big issue now.

If They Could See You Now
One of the big areas of discussion online is cast member absences. Here I attempt to give other perspectives on the matter.

Broadway Funk: Overhauling Tarzan
I know this is a moot issue since the show has since closed; however, I really feel what I had to say about the show was valid.

The Road They Didn’t Take: Fixing Follies
This has probably been my most-read blog, the entry where I suggest my own repairs to Sondheim and Goldman’s masterwork. Plus, you’ll learn about how I got my picture taken by Gwyneth Paltrow.

From the Mouth of Alan Jay Lerner
This wasn’t actually anything I wrote but a posting of an essay I found written by Alan Jay Lerner. It feels like it could have been written today, and I think it adds much to the discussion of the state of musical theatre.

Show Business: The Road They Didn’t Take to Broadway
This is a reflection on the recent phenomena of stunt casting and of the westward move of a number of significant Broadway stars.

Broadway Revivals: The Right Canvas
This is a discussion on the need for revivals on Broadway. That’s right, the need.

“When you’re listening to this, try to ignore the lyrics. I know it’ll be difficult, but block them out. They’re not the best. But the tune is beautiful.” or . . . Upon Finally Buying the Tarzan OBCR
Okay, so nobody really cares about Tarzan all that much. However, I think Phil Collins had more potential than Tarzan demonstrated.

Amplification: Back to Before
Here I discuss the benefits of the microphone. I think we have a knee-jerk reaction that whatever way things were in the past is the best. I wanted to present the benefits of amplification.

Online Bootleg Footage: Toward the Future, From the Past
This is why I think producers shouldn’t fear YouTube.

An Ode to Rosie O’Donnell
I’m not a Rosie guy, to paraphrase a critic from Show Business: The Road to Broadway, but I do think she deserves more credit than we give her.

Eight Top Ten Theatre Books I Love
There’s nothing like a great theatre book. Here are eight favorites.

Get with the (Souvenir) Program
A subject near and dear to my heart, the souvenir program. These are my tips on doing them well.

Epilogue: 50 Amazing Broadway Performers in 50 Weekdays
I did my series on 50 Amazing Broadway Performers in 50 Weekdays. Here is my wrap-up, including a full list of the honored talent.

Revivals and Revisals: Paint Your Wagon Any Color You Want
So here is another issue of note, the changing of masterworks for contemporary productions. I’m torn on this one. If only everyone thought like I did . . .

Every Story is a Love Story: The Great Romantic Musicals
This is the actual list of the most romantic stage musicals of all time and why. If you want to know my criteria, first read Part 1.

You Simply Cannot Do It Alone or, How I Became a Theatre Expert in Three Easy Steps
This will probably be more of interest to up-and-coming musical theatre creators (or those interested in knowing a little of my learning curve). This is about the importance of collaboration.

Wanted: Published Libretti
This is an argument for the need to make libretti easily available (in book form) for the sake of the art.

Redefining Success: How Long Does a Show Need to Be Running?
This one was written with The Drowsy Chaperone in mind.

From the Mouth of Baz Luhrmann
I appreciate this quote and think it adds much to the debate over popular music in modern Broadway shows.

Teaching Musical Theatre Literature: Why and How (Part 1 in a Series)
So I haven’t written the other parts in the series yet, but I do think this is an important topic.

Four Top Ten Acting Techniques That Need to Go Away
Okay, so this wasn’t my best-titled piece. I do think, however, that it contains some good thoughts.

Money, Money, Money for a Mel Brooks Show Must Be Funny in a Rich Man’s World
I’m surprised I didn’t get stoned for this one. Is it really possible that Broadway shows aren’t over-priced?

Those Rotten Critics (And Other Reasons We Hate Mirrors)
Are critics really to blame? Here’s some food for thought.

In My Fashion: The Unique Struggle of Revivals
New works have it easy! Well, at least easier than older works when it comes to facing the critique of “every way is better than the way the director did it” thinking.

About the Longest-Running Shows List
Here are some thoughts about the list of the longest-running shows on Broadway and why it can be deceiving.

Broadway Documentaries: Feature Film Bonus Feature Bonanzas
Are those 2-Disc DVDs with Broadway-themed “Making Of” docs worth it? Find out here.

the Broadway Mouth
January 2, 2008

(P.S. Look for a new regular entry tomorrow on Wicked.)

No comments: