Thursday, July 26, 2007

Amazing Broadway Performer: Amy Spanger

My first encounter with Amy Spanger was when a little slip of paper fell out of my Kiss Me, Kate Playbill to tell me she was out. I was still a wee theatre-goer then, so I didn’t know who Amy Spanger was. However, when I got the revival cast recording, I quickly came to admire her talent. So after all those years of hearing her declare her unique brand of faithfulness to Bill Calhoun, I was excited to finally get to see her when I saw The Wedding Singer.

What wowed me immediately was what a versatile performer she is. On the CD of Kiss Me, Kate, she’s sexy and seductive, with a smooth voice that is both contemporary theatrical and reminiscent of the 1940s. Here she was in The Wedding Singer as this loveable (but very un-sexy) STD poster child of a character, belting out songs in the style of Cyndi Lauper. Had I not known who she was, I never in a million years would have guessed that she was the same person I had heard a billion times as Lois Lane.

The fact that she’s an excellent dancer is icing on the cake. It was such a thrill to see her electrifying the stage with her movement, full of verve and spunk. She gave us a 100% Broadway performance, not just fully in character but loaded with “it.”

Getting to Know You Interview: Can anyone explain to me why there are NO interviews with Amy Spanger?



the Broadway Mouth
July 26, 2007

No comments: