Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Amazing Broadway Performer: Felicia P. Fields

One word: sexy.

I don’t know what it is about Felicia P. Fields, but when she is on stage as Sofia in The Color Purple, she is the embodiment of sex appeal. She made Sofia such a strong woman, confident and charming, that she made her sexy. There’s no question why Harpo loves her so much or why Squeak feels threatened by her. When you got it, you got it, and Felicia P. Fields ’s got it.

Plus, I love her voice. Not only is it strong, but it’s full of character. Like Norm Lewis below, I keep hoping to hear she’s been cast in Disney’s The Princess and the Frog because she’s got the perfect voice for animation.

Oh, and did I mention stage presence? This woman’s got it. I couldn’t take my eyes off her in The Color Purple.

Her Playbill credits list a number of traditional black roles. That’s great, but her talent calls for casting beyond such boundaries. Every month or so, someone’s starting a message board thread about who should play Mame in a revival. I bet Felicia P. Fields would be smasheroo.

Getting to Know You Interview: http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=530470

Please Note: The image below is of LaChanze, but the clip is of Sofia's big number "Hell No."












Broadway Mouth
July 10, 2007

No comments: