Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Amazing Broadway Performer: Christiane Noll

My first exposure to Christiane Noll was on the OBCR for Jekyll and Hyde in which she sang the part of Emma Carew so beautifully. Her voice has the beautiful simplicity of classic voices, but she also has great warmth and emotional depth, giving her a contemporary sound.

I think Emma is, unfortunately, an overlooked role simply because Lucy gets “Someone Like You,” “A New Life,” and a knife in the back; however, that doesn’t negate Christiane Noll’s tremendous contribution to that popular cast album.

It was very exciting when I learned that Christiane Noll was to star in the national tour of Urinetown as Hope Cladwell. Though, after the beauty of Emma, I didn’t know what to expect of Noll in such a comedic show.

How was she? She was simply hilarious. Very well sung and hilarious. Her Hope was exceedingly cute in her simplistic outlook on the world, but she was tempered with realism to make her a believable love interest for Bobby Strong. I also loved her soliloquy, performed while bound and gagged. And in “I See a River,” she gave Hope some amazing high notes which she belted into the theatre beyond her microphone.

Again, here is another talent demanding more roles on Broadway. Perhaps Galinda or Elphaba? She’s so versatile and so talented.

Website: http://www.christycat.com/Christiane/

the Broadway Mouth
September 19, 2007

1 comment:

alexgirl said...

Great review! I'll keep my eyes peeled for her on B'way!!!