Tuesday, August 21, 2007

From the Mouth of Stephanie J. Block

Stephanie J. Block in an interview with Brodway Bullet:

You know, I feel if critics don't appreciate the music, or this sort of epic musical, if they want that genre to be gone altogether, that's one thing. But yet, you know, take the time, and say, "These costumes, the craftsmanship, they were extraordinary."

link: http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=20840

I never saw The Pirate Queen. I’ve learned that sometimes all the bad hype is a crock of crap (Jane Eyre, Bells are Ringing), but I’ve also learned that sometimes it’s spot-on (Tarzan).

But what makes it all a challenge is that you never can fully tell what is sincere criticism and what is agenda-biased ranting. I like all types of Broadway shows—musical comedy, musical plays, pop-operas, rock, whatever. I miss those glorious epic shows just as much as I would miss fun comedy if that were to disappear as well.

I disagree with the brilliant Stephanie J. Block. I don’t think it is one thing to bash a show based solely on its genre. If you can’t come at something with an open mind and without saying, “Ug. Another one of those,” then you shouldn’t go. Period.

I just don’t know why there can’t be room for everything.

the Broadway Mouth
August 22, 2007

No comments: